Thursday 22 January 2009

Barristers, NLP and use of language


I am in the middle of watching the BBC series "Barristers" which is proving quite fascinating as it demonstrates how use of language, tonality and strategic thinking are crucial in communication. Next week I am discussing running a series of trainings for a very established legal concern working with fee earners. I have always been interested in the legal arena and how well constructed arguments can be made.

I have noticed that although many people may have "attended NLP trainings", few people then actually really embrace and integrate the linguistic skills fully to be able to demonstrate a true capability in this area. I am frequently amazed by the amount of generalisations made in online interactions and how often individuals can begin a discussion without really checking for such "genera LIES ations"

I am similarly surprised by how some NLPers and even trainers don't really pay attention to their use of modal operators in communications and in recent times was on the receiving end of a series of e-mails from an individual who kept suggesting that I "need to do..." which in this instance was especially well received!
Skilled communicators have a true grasp of how to use these linguistic elements and are constantly developing these skills.

www.nickkemp.com

No comments: