Friday 22 August 2008

Advice please, as long as it fits with my preconceived ideas!

In recent times a newly qualified lamented their perceived lack of ability to "work with NLP" and that they were in a country that apparantly had no interest in NLP. I mentioned to them that in over a decade in my experience few people earn a reasonable living from NLP and that just a single week long course does NOT equip any person to be able to work with paying clients! This same individual had endlessley posted questions that all started with "What should I do with x or y client"

My response was that the key to improving NLP or any other skills is ongoing training, practice and some form of peer review. Reading books and listening to CDs have some value, but to quote an old Clint Eastwood movie "A man's gotta know his limitations" in this instance for the saftey of the client in question.

Some people "fish" for the answers that fit their own preconceptions and don't get that there really is no substitute for experience. I have written exensively about my concerns that NLP is being presented more and more in the public domain as "entertainment" rather than as a set of skills. I don't think the Derren Brown style sensationalism helps and even though Derren slams a lot of NLP (in some cases I agree with him) his own hyped TV programmes could be viewed by many as irresponsible...
The whole thread started by the individual who "fished for an answer" to his "lack of ability to work in NLP" has mysteriously disappeared, possibly raising a subject that could have been considered by some as too controversial for discussion? With proper discussion and freedom of debate and open minds people learn in the best possible ways. I have found after years of study I am still learning and that there is always more to learn from those with unique experience!

Nick Kemp
www.nickkemp.com

No comments: